These are my favorite appetizers ever… and I really mean ever! I’ve been making these for special occasions and holidays for years and I’m not alone in my enthusiasm because everyone loves them. The spicy chorizo and creamy filling is sandwiched by sweet Medjool dates and it’s all wrapped up with smoky – salty bacon; utterly addicting.
The actual name of these little bundles of deliciousness is Dates Rumaki, but that sounded a little vague, so I took liberty with the name. Also…anything that’s bacon wrapped should have it in the title, it lets you know that this is going to be good! I don’t know where the idea for this recipe originated, but my recipe is lightly adapted from a cookbook called “On Cooking”.
These are the perfect appetizer for entertaining because they can be completely made ahead. Whenever you’re ready to serve them, you can pop them in the oven for a few minutes and that’s it! I’ve catered a few parties for friends and family, (I’m not in the business by any means) and these dates are always the hit of the party.
For the dates you’re going to butterfly them, which means to cut part way into them leaving the bottom intact. Remove the seeds and set aside.
Brown the chorizo, and drain off any excess grease. I like to use a cast iron skillet for browning meats because it always gives me a good browned color before overcooking my meat.
Mash the cream cheese and browned chorizo together in a bowl with a fork, or the back of a spoon.
Spoon the filling into the date, packing it in there because as much filling as possible is the way to go with these.
For this recipe, it’s best to use thinly sliced bacon because it’s easier to wrap around the dates. Sear the bacon in a skillet to brown both sides. Remove the bacon from the pan and cut each strip in half lengthwise. Wrap 1 strip around each date, securing the bacon with a toothpick.
At this point, you can refrigerate these for a couple of days. I like to store them in the same container that I’m going to bake them in. When you’re ready to serve them, bake them at 450° F for 12-15 minutes and serve them warm or at room temperature.
- 12 Medjool dates, seeded
- 3 ounces chorizo, (fresh sausage, not dried)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 6 strips of thin-slice bacon
- 12 toothpicks
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high, and brown the chorizo.
- Drain off any extra grease and mash the chorizo with the cream cheese using a fork or the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the chorizo mixture into the dates, packing all the filling into them.
- Sear the bacon on each side in a skillet. Remove the bacon from the pan and slice in half lengthwise.
- Wrap each date with 1 strip of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. At this point, you can refrigerate these for a couple of days.
- When you're ready to serve, preheat the oven to 450° F. Place your dates in an ovenproof container and bake for 12-15 minutes. Start checking the dates at 8 minutes if they aren't refrigerated.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.