It’s the perfect time of year for all things gooey and decadent. I’ve been testing out lots of deliciously sweet things lately, and my friends and family are loving the recipe testing right now!
The recipe for this Gooey Cranberry Orange Skillet Cookie started off with white chocolate chunks. But after doing some testing, I found that chocolate chips were preferred by pretty much everyone. White chocolate does make a fun variation though, so I’d recommend it after you’ve tried the chocolate version.
I think it’s pretty much mandatory to have a little ice cream melting into all that chocolate gooeyness. Vanilla Bean or Coconut Ice Cream are both a nice counterpoint to the cranberry orange flavors.
This skillet cookie doesn’t require any special equipment to make. Simple mix together the dry ingredients…
…add the wet ingredient with your choice of white chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
Then finally spread the cookie dough into a cast iron skillet, and bake into crispy/gooey perfection.
Cranberry orange has always been one of my favorite combos, especially with white chocolate chunks. It started with these muffins we used to get when I was younger, and from there moved on to cookies (which I made into a healthier version with these Cranberry Orange Icebox Cookies).
But somewhere along the line I started preferring the flavor of dark chocolate with the cranberry orange combo over white chocolate. So I hope you’ll feel free to make this recipe your own with whichever flavor combo is your favorite.
- 1½ cups fine almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ Teaspoon sea salt, see notes
- 1 Teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- ½ cup dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest, from 1 orange
- ½ cup chocolate chips, 3 ounces, or white chocolate chunks
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, melted, 3 ounces, or coconut oil for dairy free
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add the almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, cranberries, almonds, orange zest, and chocolate chips to a mixing bowl, and mix together until completely combined.
- Melt the butter in a 9" cast iron pan, then add the melted butter to the mixing bowl along with the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix together until a thick cookie dough forms, then spread the cookie dough as evenly as possible into the cast iron pan you melted the butter in. Bake until lightly golden brown and puffed, but still nice and gooey in the center, about 15-20 minutes. The baking time will vary slightly depending on the temperature of the cast iron pan when you put it into the oven, so start checking early to make sure it doesn't over bake.
- Serve while still hot or warm with your favorite ice cream.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.