Lemon Chicken with Asparagus is my favorite dinner for two. Because this recipe is so easy, it makes the perfect at home dinner date. With Valentine’s day just around the corner, I thought I would share this super simple recipe with you.
On this particular holiday we like to stay home. Let me know if this experience sounds familiar: Small, cramped table for two, your waiter doesn’t arrive for at least 45 minutes. When you finally order the kitchen is out of half the menu including the seafood special you were looking forward to. Dinner crawls forward with no more than water on the table. An hour and half after you have been seated your food finally arrives and with predictability your dinner is less than satisfying. Now this sounds pretty bad but it happens more than you would think. The odds for a wonderful meal out on this holiday are stacked against you. The kitchen is almost always understaffed to handle the extra traffic on this night resulting in the above description. I love to go out to dinner but not when it turns into a hassle.
Instead, you could stay home and enjoy this elegant dinner by candlelight, followed by chocolate tart. Delicious food and time together makes for a wonderful evening. It is a bonus that most everything can be prepped ahead of time, leaving some assembly required on the actual night. You can double even triple these recipes for entertaining as well. Things go much more smoothly when half of the work is already done.
One tip before the recipe. You see in the photo above how the sauce sits on the plate, it doesn’t spread. This consistency is achieved when the sauce “coats the back of a spoon”, meaning when you dip a clean spoon into your sauce it doesn’t run right off, there is some thickness to it. If you forget about your sauce on the stove (not speaking from experience or anything) and it becomes too thick, you can whisk in small amounts of water or additional cream until the sauce is properly thinned out.
- 1 bone-in, skin on chicken breast
- sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Teaspoon herbs d' Provence
- 1½ Teaspoons sea salt
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends removed
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Sprinkle the chicken with sea salt and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165F.
- While the chicken is baking, combine the ingredients for the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, steam the asparagus until bright green and just tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- While the asparagus is steaming, remove the chicken breast from the bone and carve into slices. Spoon some of the sauce onto the plate, fan out sliced chicken over the sauce, then add the asparagus. Serve with additional sauce and lemon twist.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.