So… what do you make for dinner that’s twice as fast as take-out? Why Spaghetti Aglio Olio of course – it’s Italy’s version of fast food. It’s made with pantry staples, and can be made in mere minutes – sounds like perfection right?
This version is a departure from the traditional dish because I’ve subbed the pasta with zucchini noodles for a veggie packed, 1-pan kind of dinner. However there are still times when we come back from vacation, (read no fresh produce in the house) and I make this the traditional way with our favorite gluten free pasta.
The concept of this Italian meal is a wonderful one – made with pantry staples – meaning no need to run out and buy 15 different ingredients to accomplish a satisfyingly delicious meal! I’ve gotten into veggie noodles so deep that we now have zucchini on hand like it’s a pantry staple, (that and butternut squash – my other favorite noodle).
Because this meal comes together so fast, it’s best to have your seasonings ready to go before turning on the stove!
You can make zucchini noodles a number of ways. I used a julienne peeler for years before finally breaking down and buying a spiralizer. And you know what? I wish I would’ve bought one so much sooner. I put off buying one because I simply do not need another gadget in my limited kitchen space, and I didn’t know how much I’d actually use it.
But… as it would turn out, I use it almost every day now – from making veggie noodles for dinner, to spiralizing veggies for a quick salad to pack for lunch. And the other great thing about getting a spiralizer is now I can make noodles out of the harder veggies like butternut squash and sweet potatoes, (instead of only zucchini).
At this point I’m going to stop rambling on about my love of all things spiralizer because I’m starting to sound like a commercial (which I’m not… but still).
You can eat these simple zucchini noodles plain…
Sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan…
Or all of the above, and topped with an over-easy egg!
So the next time you don’t know what to make for dinner, I’ve got you covered with this 15 minute wonder!
- 12 ounces zucchini, 2-3 small
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ Teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 eggs - cooked over-easy, or however you like them
- Wash the zucchini and slice off both ends creating a nice, flat surface.
- Spiralize the zucchini, or use a julienne peeler to create veggie noodles.
- Preheat a 9" cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, assemble and prepare your other ingredients.
- Add the olive oil to the hot pan, followed by the garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper. Sauté just until fragrant but not brown - about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pan and sauté until just tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the zucchini noodles immediately topped with your choice of toppings.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.