I have so many good things to say about Calgary! Lucky for me, I got to live there for part-time for 4 years during our immigration process. It was great to go there this fall as a tourist on vacation, and we had so much fun revisiting all our favorite places.
When I first came to Calgary, I hated the traffic and the busyness because I’ve always lived in a small town. It didn’t take very long for me to succumb to the charms of the city. Now that we live in Montana, I’ve found that I’m split between both places, longing for the city and country at the same time. I think I’ll always be a country girl at heart, and I can be content with a few city visits a year!
If you’re visiting, I’ve put together a list of fun things to do while in Calgary.
1. Calgary Stampede – (July 4-13 2014) people come from all over the world for the Calgary Stampede and it’s called the greatest outdoor show on earth. There’s definitely something for everyone: rodeo, chuck wagon races, the grand-stand show, concerts, and so much more! We had a great time when we went, but be prepared to spend some money (especially if you’re used to small town rodeo prices).
2. Spark Science Center – They have feature exhibits, permanent exhibits, and a planetarium – HD Digital Dome Theater where you can watch some really cool science videos.
3. Calgary Zoo – The Calgary Zoo was a lot of fun when we went, and since then they’ve added a penguin exhibit. Right now, some of their exhibits are not up an running due to the massive flooding in Alberta earlier this year. They’re hoping to have everything back in order for 2014. We’d like to visit another time to see the penguins because my husband was part of the construction project there and it would be fun to see the final result.
4. You can take in a professional hockey game at the Saddledome (home of the Calgary Flames) in the Stampede grounds, or a Pro CFL football game at McMahon Stadium (home of the Calgary Stampeders).
5. Stephen Avenue – is a great place to go shopping (providing you have some extra cash). There’s a big range in prices shopping here, from the affordable for me to the ‘in my dreams’. It’s a great place to walk, explore, and most of all eat. Stephen Avenue is home to many of Calgary’s best restaurants.
6. Lina’s Italian Market and Cappucino Bar – We used to live 10 minutes from this place and I miss it so much. It’s chock full of great foodie items for picnics and to take home with you. (I’ll expand more in another post). There is also a German market called Edelweiss Imports that’s tons of fun as well and all kinds of Asian Markets, the biggest is called T & T.
7. Chinatown – Calgary’s Chinatown is small, but it’s home of some of my favorite snacks including the best Vietnamese Sub sandwich I’ve ever had!
8. Cross Iron Mills Shopping Center and Bass Pro Shop – this shopping center is located just north of Calgary and it’s massive!
9. Chinook Shopping Center – this shopping center is located right in Calgary and has some pretty good shopping.
10. Epcor Center – this performing arts center has all kinds of events going on – check for a list of events when you’re coming to town!
Over the next couple of weeks, I’ll take you through some of my favorite spots in Calgary before heading into the Banff hiking.
Whats your favorite city right now?