- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- freshly chopped herbs
- minced garlic
- minced shallot
- freshly grated parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- Flavored olive oils and or vinegars also make good variations
- If you’re using a mason jar you won’t need measuring cups. Pour the vinegar to the 2 ounce mark on the side of a pint jar.
- Then add the sea salt to the vinegar to help dissolve it.
- Pour the olive oil over the top to reach the 1 cup mark on the side of the jar.
- Place a lid securely over the top and shake the vinaigrette vigorously to emulsify it.
- This dressing will keep for at least 1 week in the refrigerator. If you decide to use any add-ins, the dressing is best used right away.
- I like to use the white plastic lids you can get for mason jars because the vinegar has a tendency to react with the metal lids causing an off flavor in the dressing nearest the lid.
A recipe is only as good as the sum of it’s parts, so try to use the best quality vinegar and olive oil you can find!