Cheddar and apples is a tough combination to beat. It was always my favorite childhood snack. These days I prefer my cheddar and apples over a bowl of greens with creamy dressing and freshly ground black pepper.
I like to cut my apples into quarters, then each quarter into quarters and finally sliced across into small pieces.
This dressing is an all-time favorite and can be made quickly in the blender. This dressing recipe does contain raw egg. If this is of concern you can leave it out for a simple vinaigrette or add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. We like to purchase farm fresh eggs to be as safe as possible.
Roast chicken is great with this salad as are roasted sweet potatoes. This has become a weeknight theme in our house, my favorite dinner to make in a hurry. I have come to love the simplicity of one thing combined with a big salad. It is just so much easier when your meal revolves around the vegetable.
As a final note; this salad looks best if the greens are tossed with the dressing, then the apples and grated cheddar is sprinkled on top.Print
The dressing in this recipe is adapted from Gourmet
- 2 romaine hearts, torn or chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large apple, quartered and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- CREAMY VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the dressing ingredients except olive oil into a blender. Blend for a few seconds to combine. With the motor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil blending until fully combined and slightly thick. Toss the dressing with the romaine in a large bowl. Top the dressed greens with the apples and cheddar. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.
I like to use raw milk cheddar cheese for it’s exceptional flavor