I never noticed before, but there is a stunning lack of side dishes on this website. So I’ve been working on turning that around! I think the main reason is we make so many one pan/pot dinners, that side dishes don’t happen all that often. But another fun way to make dinner time easier is to make a flavorful side dish along with an easy main – like Easy Herb Roasted Chicken or Baked Sweet Potatoes for a meatless night.
In my ideal world, I’d have loads of time everyday to make big meals with lots of courses. Or spend plenty of time on the types of recipes that start with making your own curry paste from scratch.
But… getting back to reality, I need fast and easy recipes 99% of the time. These green beans fit the bill because they’re super fast, and loaded with flavor from a dash of balsamic vinegar.
A little diced red bell pepper adds lots of flavor to this quick side dish.
Once the bell pepper gets sautéed, you add the green beans to the pan along with the balsamic vinegar, and they simmer together until the beans are crisp tender.
Tip: Look for a good quality balsamic vinegar that doesn’t have sugar or caramel coloring added to it.
Another fun variation to do with this side dish is to omit the red bell pepper, and instead add some chopped fresh tomatoes in at the end of the cooking time. With summer right around the corner, you’re going to love making this with vine ripe tomatoes too!Print
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper, 1 small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 – 12 ounce package trimmed whole green beans, about 4 cups
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat a 9″ cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and red bell pepper. Sauté until the pepper begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, another 30 seconds.
- Finally add the green beans and balsamic vinegar to the pan, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the beans are crisp tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with sea salt.
- Stir in the basil and serve immediately.