Blue Cheese Slaw:
- 1 pound green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 5 small carrots, washed, peeled, and grated – 10 ounces
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
Dressing for Slaw:
- 3 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, 2 ounces
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, washed and trimmed
- Start by prepping all the veggies for the slaw and placing them in a large serving bowl. Make the dressing by whisking or blending the white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sea salt, and avocado oil together into an emulsion. Add the blue cheese crumbles, and blend just to combine being sure to leave plenty of blue cheese chunks in the dressing. Keep the slaw and dressing separate and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill over hight heat.
- Mix your choice of ground meat with the hot sauce and sea salt, and form into 4-6 burger patties.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2″ thick rounds. Depending on the diameter of the sweet potatoes you’ll end up with 1-4 slices per person. Brush the slices with a small amount of avocado or olive oil and place them on the grill.
- Immediately lower the heat to medium, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until they’re just beginning to soften and there are brown grill marks on the bottom.
- When you turn the sweet potatoes over, it’s time to put on the burger patties.
- Cook the burgers for 6-8 minutes per side if your burgers are sized 6 burgers for 1 pound. The bigger the patties the more cooking time they will need, so feel free to put them on a bit earlier.
- When the burgers are almost done, toss the slaw together with the dressing.
- Check the sweet potatoes, and if they’re tender, remove them from the grill and keep warm until the burgers finish.
- Cook the burgers until they’re no longer pink in the center, especially for the turkey burgers. Remove the burgers and the sweet potato slices from the grill and serve immediately with the blue cheese slaw.