Chorizo Spaghetti Sauce:
- 1 pound bulk chorizo sausage, not the cured kind
- 1 large onion, diced 1/4″, 1 pound
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1–28 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: freshly grated parmesan
- 1 large butternut squash, 4 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Prepare the sauce by sautéing the chorizo in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat until the sausage is starting to brown, add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Before adding the tomatoes, place them in a blender and blend them until the texture is a chunky tomato sauce. If your tomatoes come already crushed instead of whole, you can skip this step.
- Add the thyme, smoked paprika, and blended tomatoes to the chorizo/onion mixture, and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer to let the flavors blend, about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the butternut noodles by cutting off the bulb shaped end of the squash and setting it aside for another use. (The bulb shaped end with the seeds cannot be spiralized, but it makes great roasted veggies.)
- Cut off the other end of the squash and peel away the skin. Next cut the squash into 2-3 pieces and spiralize it, I used the 3mm blade on the Paderno spiralizer. Place the butternut noodles onto a parchement lined baking sheet, and toss them with the olive oil and season with sea salt, I used 1/2 Teaspoon.
- When the sauce is halfway through it’s cooking time, place the prepared butternut noodles into the oven and roast until tender and starting to caramelize on the edges, 8-10 minutes.
- When the sauce is finished cooking, season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve the noodles with the sauce along with grated parmesan if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins