- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 butternut squash (4lbs), peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional see notes)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cups heavy cream (optional see notes)
- Freshly grated parmesan for serving
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, butter, sea salt, and diced onions. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized; reduce heat if necessary to keep onions from cooking too fast.
- While the onions are cooking, process the cubed squash into small pieces in a food processor. When onions are caramelized add the squash. Sauté briefly then add wine if using, rosemary and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until squash is tender, about 45 minutes. When squash is finished, add heavy cream if using and adjust salt to taste. Serve immediately.
If you are not using the wine or cream you may need to add additional water.
For a dairy free option, omit the butter and replace it with additional olive oil. Instead of heavy cream, use additional water, and omit the grated parmesan.
When I make this dairy free, I usually use a vegetable of chicken stock in place of the water to make up for the flavor you loose from removing the dairy!
- Cook Time: 1 hour