- 3 cups walnuts, 11ounces
- 5 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2–3 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand)
- Place the walnuts and cocoa powder in a food processor and process until combined but some bigger pieces remain.
- Cut the dates into quarters lengthwise, and then cut the strips in half crosswise.
- Scatter the dates over the top of the walnut mixture, add the sea salt, vanilla, and pulse to combine.
- When the dates are combined, the energy bars will start to come together. Add the water 1 Tablespoon at a time until the bars come together as a slightly sticky ‘dough’.
- Line a 7″ x 11″ pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper and press the ‘dough’ in by hand. I used a small cutting board to press down over the top of the bars to create a smoother surface.
- Lift the bars out of the pan, this is easier with parchment paper. For plastic wrap, it’s easier to lift out of the pan with two people, that way you can hold all 4 corners as you lift it out.
- Cut the bars into the size you would like. I cut mine into 16 small bars for snacks. If I was taking them hiking, I would make them into 8 bars for a bigger snack.
I like 100% walnuts, but can use 50/50 walnuts and almonds to mimic the store bought ones!
- Prep Time: 15 mins