- 4 Tablespoons butter (use coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A)
- 1 cup almond or cashew butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Place a 9″ cast iron skillet over low heat, and begin to melt the butter.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients one at a time, taking care not the get the mixture too hot, (you don’t want to scramble your eggs).
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. You want to take it out when it is still fudgy and soft in the middle because it will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven.
If you want to take this over the top, add 1-2 Teaspoons of espresso powder. To make the Death by Chocolate recipe, make this cake with 2/3 cup of maple syrup.