This Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail is the definition of festive! It’s so easy to make and with the addition of orange, you get a flavor combination that never gets old. We love making kombucha mocktails and you’ll find a whole list linked below. But this one is a little extra special because it’s so perfect for the holidays. The beautiful deep color of the cranberry is paired perfectly with some kombucha and sweetened up a touch with orange juice.
It’s no secret around here we love the cranberry-orange combination. So I guess it was only a matter of time before I put it together into a kombucha mocktail. This customizable drink is so festive looking it’s perfect for the whole holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas and all the way into the New Year.
You could even make a large batch of this for a large pitcher, or the most stunning punch bowl you’ve ever seen. The gorgeous color here is all thanks to the cranberry juice which is also the secret to all the flavor. You can keep it simple with just cranberry juice and kombucha, or add the orange juice which is our favorite.
Also if you’re doing a Whole30, be sure to read the recipe notes because I have an option for that as well. All in all, no matter which way you choose to make this you can’t go wrong.
And with the cranberries, orange slices, and rosemary, it’s easy to get into the holiday spirit with this one. It’s perfect for a family dinner or any kind of festivities. And of course, its colors make it the ultimate Christmas mocktail.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Kombucha – I like to use cranberry kombucha here from GT’s, but ginger kombucha is also really tasty with cranberry juice. You can also use the original flavor of any kombucha you love. Another option would be to muddle a slice of fresh ginger with a touch of kombuch in each glass.
- Cranberry juice – sweetened or unsweetened is your choice. We use unsweetened cranberry juice which packs quite a punch. But from there I just add orange juice to taste to sweeten it up. You could also add a touch of simple syrup or maple syrup. Either way, you’re in control of how sweet it is when you buy unsweetened cranberry juice. I don’t recommend honey just because it’s too hard to mix into cold liquids.
- Orange juice – can be optional, but so tasty as a fun variation paired with the cranberry flavors. It’s also a way to naturally sweeten up the cranberry juice as mentioned above.
- Garnishes – Sliced mandarin oranges, frozen or fresh cranberries and a sprig of fresh rosemary make this look super festive. But feel free to use any or none of the garnishes to keep things simple.
How to make this Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail recipe step by step
Step 1: Fill 1/2 of the glass with the kombucha of your choice. Then fill to the 3/4 line with cranberry juice, and finally top off with orange juice leaving enough room for ice and garnishes.
Serve immediately to grateful guests! Just kidding, but in all seriousness, this is a hit and easy enough to make for yourself on a random Tuesday as well. This recipe serves 4 as an 8-ounce drink, but you can also make it into 2 large 16-ounce glasses as well.
Ways to serve this
- For a holiday brunch with my Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole and Paleo Cranberry Orange Muffins.
- With a steak dinner combined with my Mushroom Cream Sauce, Best Mashed Potatoes, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- With any holiday-themed dinner like my Paleo Thanksgiving Menu.
- Serve in pretty glasses like Old-Fashioned Glasses or Double Old-Fashioned Glasses to make more room for garnishes and ice. And old fashioned glass is 6-8 ounces whereas a double is 12-16. I have some that are about 12 ounces and fit these 8-ounce mocktails perfectly with ice and garnishes added. These also work just fine in any drinking glass you have. Cocktail glasses are just usually clearer (made of crystal) and you can see your gorgeous drink better.
Yes, there is a Whole30 option. Juice is allowed on a Whole30, but it’s meant to be a sweetener, not to simply drink. Make your drink according to the recipe notes with mostly kombucha and a splash of the juices for sweetener. Or substitute seltzer water for the juice, and add sliced fruit as a garnish.
Yes and no, the answer isn’t straightforward. You want to look for good quality brands that don’t add sugar to the finished kombucha like GT’s which are healthier. Kombucha is said to promote good gut health due to its naturally occurring probiotics. But so many of them are loaded with sugar, so check the labels.
We love either seltzer water or fruit juices combined with kombucha to make a tasty mocktail.
I recommend using a seltzer or sparkling water combined with fruit juice to taste. Try using a fruit-flavored water like Spindrift cranberry raspberry with cranberry juice added to taste. You can also use ginger ale or ginger beer which both pair really well with cranberry.
- The mixed kombucha and juices will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge, but the kombucha will go flat.
Tips & Tricks
- This mocktail is easy enough to mix in the glass, but you can also use a cocktail shaker or mason jar for mixing.
- To make this ahead of time, mix the kombucha and juices together no more than 1 hour before serving, and refrigerate. Then pour over ice and add garnishes.
- Play around with the ratios and find what way you love this the best.
I really hope you enjoy this Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail
- 16 oz bottle kombucha - I like GT’s cranberry, ginger, or original
- 1 cup cranberry juice - unsweetened or sweetened, see notes
- 1 cup orange juice - see notes
- 16 ice cubes
- Garnishes: 4 slices from 1 mandarin orange - 1/2 cup cranberries, and 4 sprigs of rosemary
- Pour the kombucha evenly into 4 – 8 oz glasses. Then top with the cranberry juice and finally the orange juice. Adjust to taste, or add a touch of Grade A amber maple syrup to sweeten if necessary.
- You can also mix the liquids together in a mason jar, then pour into the glasses.
- Add 3-4 ice cubes to each glass and divide the garnishes between the 4 glasses.
- Serve immediately.