- 1 large yellow or white onion, 1/2″ dice, 1 1/2 pounds
- 5 stalks of celery, thinly sliced, 8 ounces
- 4 Tablespoon butter, or avocado oil for dairy free
- 2 Teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries, 3 ounces, fruit juice sweetened
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, 1/2″ cubes, 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Optional 1/2 cup wild rice – see note below for cooking
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Heat a 9″ skillet over medium-high heat, when the pan is heated add the butter, onions, and celery. Sauté until the onions are translucent and golden but not browned. Add the poultry seasoning and dried cranberries.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, and toss the mixture with the cubed sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potato mixture into a large baking pan (4 or 5 quarts) and pour the chicken stock over the top.
- Bake the stuffing for 45-50 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender and the edges are browned, stirring 1-2 times during the baking time.
- Serve immediately.
- If you have leftovers, this stuffing reheats perfectly.
I used 1 1/2 Teaspoons sea salt and 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper, but this measurement can vary depending on whether or not your chicken stock is salted.
To add wild rice to the stuffing, cook 1/2 cup wild rice with 1 1/2 cups water until the rice is tender. Drain off any excess liquid and add it to the stuffing after it’s been baked.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins