This is by far the easiest meal I’ve ever made! All the ingredients are placed in the crockpot, turned to low for 8-10 hours, and that’s it! The house smells amazing as it’s cooking – in fact it’s almost better not to be home. The second time I made this, I was home the entire day and the delicious smells kept me hungry all day long.
The first time we had salsa beef over sweet potatoes, and the second time we tried it over rice. Neither one of us can decide which is the better flavor choice, but we do know that the more toppings, the better.
For the onion, cut off both of the ends and peel it. Cut each half down almost to the core (top right photo), then lay the onion half face down (bottom left photo) and make cuts almost to the end across the top. Finally cut crosswise into small dice, (bottom right photo).
Place the vegetables, cumin, and sea salt in the crockpot. Add the ground beef and use a spoon to break it up into small pieces. Pour the salsa over the top making sure to cover the meat and vegetables. If you run short on salsa, pour in a small amount of water. Turn the crockpot to low and cook for 8-10 hours. We like this dish served with all the toppings, but guacamole is a particular favorite.
I’ve never been much of a crockpot person, but coming home to this simmering away has entirely turned me around.Print
- 1 large onion, diced into 1/4” pieces
- 2 bell peppers (I used red), cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt (this can vary depending on your salsa)
- 1 quart (32 ounces) salsa, best quality you can find
- Rice or Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- Greek yogurt
- grated cheddar cheese
- Place the onion, bell pepper, cumin, and sea salt into the crockpot.
- Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces.
- Pour the salsa over top of the mixture making sure the salsa covers the meat and vegetables. Add a small amount of water if needed to cover the mixture and turn to low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve with any or all of the toppings.
Serve with Sweet Potatoes to make this Paleo, and no yogurt or cheese for dairy free.