When you’re in need of the easiest ever dinner, this Slow Cooker Salsa Beef is just the thing! It’s naturally gluten free, dairy free, and paleo, and it takes just minutes to put together. You can also make this dish right on the stove top rather quickly as well, and it makes the tastiest taco bowls.
This is by far the easiest meal I’ve ever made. All the ingredients are placed into the slow cooker, turned to low for 8 hours, and that’s it! Also the whole house smells amazing as it’s cooking. In fact it’s almost better not to be home at all while it’s cooking. The second time I made this, I was home the entire day and the delicious smells were driving me crazy all day long.
The first time we had this salsa beef over sweet potatoes, and the second time we tried it over rice. Neither one of us can decide which is the better flavor choice. But we do know for sure that the more toppings, the better!
We’ve been making this super simple dinner for almost 8 years now and it’s still a go-to favorite. I’ve even taken to adding some different spices to the mix, so I knew it was time for an update to share my new tips.
The absolute simplest way to make salsa beef is with just 2 ingredients – salsa + ground beef. But I’ve found with a few extra ingredients, it’s even better. So below you’ll find a bit of onion and pepper along with some spices in the recipe that just add so much flavor.
This recipe is also great for meal prepping too. We like making taco bowls with this recipe. And having the salsa beef already done makes dinner a cinch!
Let’s talk about the super simple ingredients for this Slow Cooker Salsa Beef!
- Ground beef – is my go-to choice here because it’s so simple and affordable. I know a lot of recipes use a tough cut of beef and allow it to slow cook. But by using ground beef it cuts down the prep time which was my main goal to make this as easy as possible.
- Onions, garlic & peppers – These 3 add so much flavor to the finished salsa beef. But since I know so many have trouble with peppers, rest assured you can easily leave them out. The onions and garlic will carry you in the flavor department no problem.
- Spices – I used to put just a bit of ground cumin in my original salsa beef recipe. But over time I’ve taken to adding the ground chipotle and the smoked paprika you see listed in the recipe. They add great smokey chili flavor that definitely levels up this recipe.
- Salsa – use any kind of salsa you’d like to eat with chips. Salsa is the main flavoring ingredient in this recipe, so you definitely need to love the flavor of what you’re using. Also I listed mild salsa in the recipe because the chipotle adds just the smallest amount of heat. So the finished salsa beef is quite mild, what I would call ‘kid-friendly’. But feel free to use a medium to hot salsa or even add more chipotle if you like some spice.
Ok let’s jump in and make this Slow Cooker Salsa Beef recipe step by step!
First we’ll prep all the ingredients. Measure out the spices, mince the garlic, and dice up the bell pepper and onion.
Add the ground beef to the slow cooker along with the onions and bell pepper. Using a wooden spoon or something appropriate for you slow cooker, break up the ground beef together with the onions and peppers.
Mix the spices and minced garlic into the salsa and pour it over the ground beef.
Step 4 & 5:
Mix the salsa mixture into the beef mixture. And finally turn the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
How to serve Salsa Beef:
- Build-a-taco-bowl – start with a base (lettuce, rice, roasted sweet potatoes) top with salsa beef, sliced avocado or guacamole, extra salsa, and grated cheese and sour cream if you can have dairy. For dairy free, try my Creamy Cilantro Chimichurri – so bright and tasty!
- Quesadilla – start with tortillas of choice, (we love the grain free from Siete) fill with salsa beef and jalapeno jack cheese. Cook on both sides until melted and serve with salsa and avocado.
- Omelet – pile some into and omelet and top with salsa and avocado.
And of course even more Mexican recipe inspiration!
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken
- Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
- Easy Dairy Free Queso
- Fish Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Healthy Chicken Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Mexican Chicken Caesar Salad
I hope you enjoy this salsa beef as much as we have! I never used to be a huge slow cooker fan. But this recipe was the beginning of a different way of thinking for me. There’s nothing quite like coming home to dinner already done, and the whole house smelling amazing.
So if you’re looking for some more easy slow cooker dinners, definitely let me know below what you’d like to see! And If you do make this, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below, I always love hearing from you here.Print
This super easy Salsa Beef is sure to become a new favorite go-to recipe for weeknight dinners!
1 large onion, diced into 1/4” dice
2 bell peppers (I used red & yellow), cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 pound ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 – 16 ounce jar mild salsa, about 2 cups
Extras for serving:
Place the onion, bell pepper, and ground beef into the slow cooker bowl. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces.
Mix the minced garlic and spices into the salsa. Then add the salsa mixture over top of the ground beef. Mix to combine, and turn the slow cooker to low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
If you want the peppers to be firmer, check the slow cooker to see if they’re the desired doneness starting at around 5 hours on low.
Serve with any or all of the toppings.
To make this on the stove top, cook the ground beef in a large skillet breaking it up into small pieces. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, cook stirring often for 2-3 minutes. Then add the spices and salsa to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the onions and peppers are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add a touch of water or broth if at any point the beef mixture gets too dry.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Salsa Beef, Crockpot Salsa Beef, Ground Beef Salsa Slow Cooker, Salsa Beef Slow Cooker
This recipe was originally published in 2013, but has been updated in 2021 with new tips, nutritional information, and new photos.