When Tyler and I were first married, one of the only things he could cook was the American version of tacos. And let me tell you what, he definitely had some opinions on every step of the process. I actually couldn’t stop laughing the first time I made tacos for dinner, and he was hovering over my shoulder giving me step by step instructions. I mean… it pretty much came out of nowhere, since I didn’t even know he could cook anything at all!
One thing he was absolutely sure of, was tacos are not tacos without the spice packet from the store. And I can’t really argue with that because those spice packets make some dynamite tacos. The only real problem is the weird ingredients added in that I’m pretty sure I do not want to be eating.
So we tried different healthier pre-made taco seasonings, but we both concluded with every taste test they just didn’t cut it. Which of course eventually led here to my easy homemade taco seasoning, which I’m very pleased to say is Tyler approved!
Most taco seasonings have a bit of oregano in them, but we’ve both found we prefer the flavor with it. However I hope you’ll feel free to make this seasoning your own. And on that note, the amount of salt called for is also just our preference, so feel free to reduce or leave it out, and season your taco meat as you cook it.
I also like to add a bit of chipotle powder which is not at all traditional. But I add it for 2 reasons, the first is it adds a small amount of heat to the seasoning. And my second reason is we both love the slightly smoky flavor it adds.
For some ideas on how to use this seasoning, you can check out these recipes:
- Taco Sweet Potato Noodles, (coming later this week).
- Ancho Chili Chicken Taco Bowls – you can use this taco seasoning in place of the seasonings called for in the recipe.
- Taco Sweet Potato Bowls – these are a favorite and we have them almost every week!
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder, not hot or salted
- 1 Teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated onion powder
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt, or to your taste
- Mix together all the ingredients until thoroughly combined, and store the seasoning in an airtight container.
- We've found we like 3 Tablespoons of this taco seasoning to 1 pound of ground beef.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.