The beauty of this breakfast is in the simple details. The flavors of the veggies are well matched for fresh rosemary, cracked black pepper, and a dusting of freshly grated parmesan. They are also really easy to prepare, and are made all in one pan (bonus points)!
This breakfast came about by chance while we were on our Canadian Adventure. I had bought bell peppers, onions, and zucchini to make a vegetable curry but the veggies didn’t quite make past breakfast. Instead of plain ol’ scrambled eggs, (nothing wrong with those, but variety is nice) I decided it was time for a change of pace. We loved this recipe so much that we made it again right away, and now you can too!
Preheat a very large skillet (at least 16″) over medium heat. While the skillet is heating, dice the onion. Start by cutting off both ends and cutting it in half. Peel the onion and make a cut almost to the core of each half, (see top right photo). Lay each half face down and cut across into strips, (bottom left photo). Finally cut crosswise to make a medium sized dice, (bottom right photo).
Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or butter to the skillet and start cooking the onion, adding each vegetable as you finish chopping it.
Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper and cut into strips. Cut the strips into a small dice and add them to the skillet.
Remove the ends from the zucchini and cut into quarters. Cut the quarters crosswise into triangular pieces and add them to the pan as well.
When the veggies are tender, add the chopped rosemary and sea salt. Stir to combine and then move the veggies to the edge of the skillet to make room for the eggs.
Add a teaspoon or two to the middle of the skillet and crack your eggs into the center. Sprinkle the eggs with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I usually fry the eggs, but you could make them over easy by putting a lid on at this point.
When the eggs are done to your liking, carefully scoop the veggies out of the skillet and into small bowl plates (pasta bowls). Serve the veggies topped with eggs, freshly grated parmesan, and cracked black pepper.
This breakfast is easy enough for a weekday if you prep your veggies the night before, and if you’re having it on the weekend, brunch has never been easier than this (or prettier, I love the colors of this dish)!
- 1 medium onion, diced into ¼" pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, diced into ½" pieces
- 1 pound zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 Teaspoon rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 4-8 eggs (1-2 per person)
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a very large (16-18") skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of the butter or olive oil.
- Sauté the vegetables for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add the sea salt and rosemary, mix thoroughly.
- Move the veggies to the side of the pan and lower the heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of butter or olive oil to the middle of the skillet. Crack the eggs into the center, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and fry for 1-2 minutes until they're ready to turn or place a lid on the skillet for sunny side up. Cook the eggs for an addition 1-2 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
- To serve, carefully scoop the vegetables onto individual plates or 1 serving dish and top with the eggs. Sprinkle with parmesan and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
If you're cooking 8 or more eggs, it's easier to transfer the vegetables to a serving dish (keeping it warm in the oven) and use the entire skillet space for the eggs.
This recipe was first posted by Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 Get Inspired Everyday!. All Rights Reserved.