These muffins have been a long time crowd pleaser, and there’s a paleo option as well if you can’t have peanut butter!
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas,14 ounces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup natural peanut butter, (no added oil, salt, or sugar), or cashew butter for Paleo
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + 3 Tablespoons for decorating
- Optional 12 teaspoons of peanut butter for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease 12 slots of a muffin tin.
- Place all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips into a high powered blender, and blend starting on low. Use the tamper to keep the mixture moving and blend, increasing the speed if necessary until the batter is smooth.
- If you don’t have a high powered blender, blend just the eggs and bananas until smooth. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients by hand.
- When the batter is smooth, mix in the 1/4 cup of the optional chocolate chips by hand.
- Portion the batter evenly into the 12 slots of the greased muffin tin.
- If you want to add a peanut butter swirl, place 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on the top of each muffin. Then using a toothpick, swirl the peanut butter into the chocolate batter.
- Then evenly sprinkle the additional 3 Tablespoons of chocolate chips over the muffin tops if desired.
- Bake the muffins until puffed in the middle and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before carefully removing the muffins from the tin.
- Serve immediately, or cool until they reach room temperature before freezing them in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
I use the Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips which are allergy friendly being gluten and dairy free.
The nutritional information is calculated with the chocolate chips and without the optional additional peanut butter. The calories are per muffin.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gluten Free, Muffins, Paleo, Grain Free, Dairy Free