- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 6 cups water
- 4–6 cups lettuce, shredded and washed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- Quick Pickled Carrots:
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Nuoc Cham:
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Grade A maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon chili paste
- 1 pound ground turkey, (I used dark meat)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Teaspoons chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Rinse and drain the rice 3 times, until it’s no longer cloudy. Place the rice and the water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. After it comes to a boil, lower the heat to low and place a lid on the saucepan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and the water is fully absorbed. After the rice is done, set it aside until you finish the rest of the recipe.
- Next, assemble the salad ingredients into individual serving bowls.
- Place the grated carrots in a serving bowl and sprinkle the vinegar over the top.
- In another bowl, stir together the ingredients for the Nuoc Cham.
- Finally, for the turkey, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and shallot, and sauté until tender and golden brown.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- While the turkey is cooking mix together the chili paste, fish sauce, and minced garlic. When the turkey is cooked through add the chili paste mixture, stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Serve all the components of this recipe together and everyone can assemble their salad bowls to their liking.
This recipe has a lot of separate parts, but it’s really easy to assemble. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to prep everything while the rice and turkey cooks.
You can also use brown rice in this recipe, just adjust for the longer cooking time.