- 2 cups thawed raspberries with their juice
- 2 Tablespoons organic cornstarch or tapioca starch for grain free
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons honey, (more to taste if it’s really sour)
- 1 cup cashew butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together until there’s no lumps. Add the mixture to the raspberries and honey.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and thickens.
- Taste the raspberry sauce, you want it to be tart to offset the cake and ice cream, but not really sour. Mix in more honey to taste if you need to.
- Pour the sauce into a 9″ baking pan – a deep dish pie plate works really well.
- For the cake batter, mix together all the ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle the cake batter over the raspberry sauce, covering it as you go.
- Bake the cake for 25-35 minutes. The timing will depend a lot on the thickness of your pan. Start checking the cake early, you want to pull it out when it’s puffed in the middle and golden brown.
- Serve the cake immediately or warm with ice cream if desired. This cake keeps for up to 3 days if it lasts that long!
If you decide to use tapioca, start with 1 Tablespoon and add more if needed. It seems to thicken more than cornstarch.
This cake is adapted from my Apple Pie Skillet Cake and I’ve made the cake batter with a number of different nut butters now. My favorite brand so far is, Once Again Nut Butters.