- 1 pkg halloumi cheese, 14 ounces
- 2 zucchini, 1 1/2 pounds
- 6 mini sweet peppers or bell peppers, 8 ounces
- 1 eggplant, I used a Japanese eggplant, 8 ounces
- 1 red onion, or other sweet onion, 8 ounces
- 4 tomatoes, 12 ounces
- olive oil
Lemon Garlic Dressing:
- 1 large clove of garlic or 2 small cloves
- 1 lemon, sliced in half
- 1/2 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, oregano, or rosemary (pick your favorite)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill over high until the temperature reaches 400ºF.
- Place the garlic and lemon halves on the grill, and immediately lower the heat to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic has browned on one side. Turn the garlic over and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove the garlic and lemon when it turns brown and caramelized. Set them aside to cool.
- Meanwhile start preparing the veggies and cheese. My cheese came in a 1″ thick rectangle and I cut it into 2 triangles, and then sliced the triangles widthwise into 4 – 1/2″ thick triangles. The main idea is to end up with 1/2″ thick pieces. Drizzle the cheese triangles with a small amount of olive oil, just to lightly coat them.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and eggplant, and slice them in half lengthwise. Cut both ends off the onion, and peel away the tough outer layer. Slice the onion from the top to the bottom into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and drizzle all the veggies with a small amount of olive oil, using your hands to toss and lightly coat each veggie. It’s best to drizzle the tomatoes separate because they’re delicate.
- Keeping the grill heat on medium with a temperature between 350º – 400ºF, place all of the veggies on the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the veggies have just begun to soften, you may need to turn the onion slices and mini peppers sooner if they start browning.
- Turn all the veggies over and place the cheese triangles on the grill as well. Grill the veggies for an additional 6-8 minutes or until they’re just tender but not mushy. Grill the cheese for 3-4 minutes per side or until grill marks appear and the cheese has become soft.
- While the veggies are grilling make the dressing by squeezing the grilled garlic through a garlic press to remove any of the tougher bits. Squeeze the juice from the grilled lemons, you should have 2 Tablespoons lemon juice.
- Whisk together the squeezed garlic, lemon juice, and chopped fresh herb of choice. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The dressing may separate a bit while it sits, simply whisk it back together.
- When the veggies and cheese are done grilling arrange everything on a large platter. Drizzle with the lemon garlic dressing, and garnish with a sprig of the fresh herb of your choice.