Grilling the pineapple caramelizes the edges, making a most delicious salsa! We have tons of cilantro in the garden right now, so we’re eating lots of Mexican inspired dishes. Really fresh cilantro has at least twice as much flavor, so I would encourage you to seek it out from a local farmers market or grow some in your flower beds if you don’t have a garden.
Next, take half of an onion and cut it into thirds so there is more surface area touching the grill.
Finally cut the bell pepper in half and remove the seeds.
Preheat the grill on high. When you place the pineapple, onions, and bell pepper on the grill, lower the heat to medium high. The grilling process will take about 15 minutes or approximately 7-8 minutes per side.
For the bell pepper, cut each half into strips and then cut the strips crosswise into a small dice. Toss together all the ingredients for the salsa and serve immediately or within the next few days. This recipe makes 4-5 cups of salsa which is quite a bit if you’re not having a party, but that’s ok because it’s great with so many things!
This salsa is great as a dressing, or topping of sorts over a big bowl of salad greens paired with Grilled Chipotle Chicken.
On a final note, this salsa would be really good on fish tacos. I usually make a mango salsa, but mangoes aren’t always at their peak here. So…pineapple would make a reliable year-round kind of salsa!Print
- 1 pineapple, ends and skin removed and cored (2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeded
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thirds
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Teaspoon chipotle in adobo purée
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the grill on high heat.
- Place the pineapple, bell pepper, and onion on the grill and lower the heat to medium-high. Grill for about 7 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the grill and chop the bell pepper and onion into small dice.
- Cut each quarter of pineapple into quarters and then cut crosswise into small tidbits.
- Mix the pineapple, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, chipotle, and sea salt together thoroughly.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 or 4 days
1/2 cup per serving size.
- Calories: 80
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 1g