- 2–3 Tablespoons avocado oil, or stir frying oil of choice
- 4 medium zucchini, 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 red bell pepper, 8 ounces
- 6 carrots, 1 pound
- 1 large onion, 1 1/4 pounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 pkg boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 1 1/2 pounds, cut into 1” pieces
Teriyaki Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar, or fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoon mirin, optional
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch, or organic cornstarch
- Start by prepping all the veggies. Cut the ends off the zucchini, and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Then laying the quarters flat side down, cut crosswise to create 1/4″ thick triangular pieces. Core the bell pepper and remove the seeds. Cut the pepper in half, and then into 1/2″ cubes. Peel the carrots and slice them as thinly as possible, 1/8″. Cut both ends off the onion, and cut it in half from the top to the bottom. Peel away the tough outer layer and cut it into 1/2″ dice.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the Teriyaki Stir Fry Sauce, and set it aside.
- Heat a large skillet, (I used a non-stick enamel 15″ skillet) over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 Tablespoon of the oil along with the cut up chicken. Turn the heat up to high, and sauté until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat and take the chicken out to set aside.
- Add one more tablespoon of oil to the pan and place it back on the heat. Add the veggies to the pan and sauté over high heat stirring as the veggies brown until they’re crisp tender, 6-8 minutes, adding the remaining tablespoon of oil if necessary.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the garlic and ginger. Stir fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant before adding the teriyaki sauce. Be sure to stir the sauce just before adding it to the pan to make sure the tapioca/cornstarch hasn’t settled to the bottom.
- As soon as you add the sauce, remove the pan from the burner and let the residual heat in the pan thicken the sauce around the stir fry.
- Serve immediately with your choice of rice or cauliflower rice – spaghetti squash is also good.