I’ve put together my favorite ways for How to Cook Spaghetti Squash (Instant Pot & Oven) today!
We eat a fair bit of spaghetti squash, yet if you search for it here on the blog, there’s not that many recipes. That’s because most of the time we’re eating it just like I’m telling you about today – roasted.
Spaghetti squash is a great side dish to all kinds of main dishes as well as anything saucy. It’s also a great way to replace whatever your usual starch would be with another serving of veggies.
My top 3 favorite ways to serve it:
- Alongside meatballs like this Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash with Easy Meatballs.
- With a stir fry in place of the usual steamed rice.
- As a side dish to any easy entree like my Easy Herb Roasted Chicken or saucy like this Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken.
Spaghetti Squash FAQ’s:
- Can you freeze spaghetti squash? Yes, once the spaghetti squash is cooled, portion into airtight containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
- How long does it keep in the refrigerator? It will store well for 3-5 days.
- Can you store spaghetti squash long term? Yes, since it’s a hard squash, it definitely keeps well (uncooked) in a cool dark place for several months. This will also depend on how fresh the squash is to begin with. I bought quite a few at a local farm’s stock up sale, and it’s been keeping well for 3 months now.
- How many calories are in a serving of spaghetti squash? It varies from around 40-55 calories per cup.
Ok… now the breakdown of How to Cook Spaghetti Squash (Instant Pot & Oven)
- My preferred method is to cut the spaghetti squash in half like the above photo.
- Then I scrape out the seeds and place the halves cut side down on a lined baking sheet and roast until tender.
I also tried the method of cutting the spaghetti squash into rings like the above photo for longer noodles. And I have to say from my perspective – so not worth the hassle, but to each their own, I might be just a little too impatient!
How to cook it in the Instant Pot:
- Place the trivet into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook about 20 minutes for a 3 pound squash.
- Quick release and carefully remove the squash from the Instant Pot.
- Let the squash cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting in half, scraping out the seeds, and shredding the ‘noodles’.
Tip: A 3 pound spaghetti squash fits really well into a 6 quart Instant Pot. I have fit a 4 pound one in once, but this really depends on the shape of the squash. The larger they are, you’re running the risk the squash will be too long to fit into the Instant Pot.
More spaghetti squash inspiration:
- Creamy Spaghetti Squash Florentine
- Margherita Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore with Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash with Easy Meatballs
I hope this ‘how to’ for spaghetti squash was helpful and gave you some more inspiration for what to do with this tasty squash. If you do try it, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. And I always love hearing from you here, and over on Instagram where you can tag me at #getinspiredeveryday with your photos.Print
This method for cooking spaghetti squash is super simple and tasty every single time!
1 – 3 pound spaghetti squash
For the oven: Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
Scrape out the seeds, and place the halves cut side down on a lined baking sheet.
Roast until fork tender, about 45 minutes. If the spaghetti squash is too crunchy for your taste, continue to cook another 10 minutes or so to soften.
Using a fork, shred the spaghetti squash into ‘noodles’ and serve hot.
Secure the lid, set to sealing, and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
Use the quick release method, then carefully remove the spaghetti squash from the Instant Pot.
Let the squash cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting it in half, scraping out the seeds and shredding it into ‘noodles’ with a fork. Serve hot.
Total cooking time with coming up to pressure and the release for the Instant Pot is also about 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spaghetti Squash recipe, How to cook spaghetti squash, Spaghetti squash hot to cook