This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Rice is 2 classic combinations put together for the ultimate comfort food that’s so incredibly easy to make!
I’m back already with another version of chicken and rice! I asked 2 weeks ago if anyone would like to see a broccoli cheddar version. And no sooner had I asked the question when it quickly became apparent you really did want some more of this most basic of comfort foods!
It was a landslide vote for Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Rice. And so I got to work right away so I could get this to you ASAP! It’s actually very similar to the classic version of chicken and rice. But that beloved broccoli cheddar combination makes it a whole new dish.
Also this recipe really makes use of staple ingredients, which is pretty handy at this particular time in history. So my hope is you may even have everything you need to make this right now.
I decided to use frozen broccoli in this for a couple of reasons. One is you can make this at a moments notice when you have frozen broccoli. And secondly frozen broccoli is already pre-cooked, so it’s perfect for adding to the Instant Pot after the rice is already cooked.
In this case, fresh broccoli would present a bit of a problem. Firstly you can’t put it in during the cooking time for the rice, or it will be complete mush. And secondly, it won’t cook in the residual heat after the cooking time. If however, all you have is fresh, I would recommend cooking it on the stove top and adding it to the rice at the end.
Now let’s make my Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Rice:
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- First you want to prep your veggies.
- Next sauté the veggies until they’re beginning to soften.
- Then we’re going to briefly sauté the chicken before adding the chicken stock and rice.
- When the rice is done pressure cooking, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 2 minutes. Then do a quick release, I like to place a cloth over the valve to avoid splattering. When the Instant Pot is safe to open, remove the lid and add the broccoli and grated cheddar cheese. Stir to combine, then place the lid back on for 5 minutes and set the Instant Pot to ‘keep warm’.
- Finally it’s time to taste and see if you need to adjust the salt and pepper. Then serve immediately with thinly sliced chives or green onions. This is completely optional, I just have a large bunch of them growing outside right now, and they are a nice option if you have them.
More chicken dinner inspiration:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice 3 Ways
- Easy Herb Roast Chicken
- Skillet Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Thai Basil Chicken Stir Fry
- Instant Pot Rotisseri Chicken
- Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Chicken Soup
- Bacon Wrapped Ranch Chicken
- Easy Instant Pot BBQ Shredded Chicken
- 5 Easy Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Marinades
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Teriyaki Chicken
I hope you get a chance to make this latest version of chicken and rice soon! If you do, I’d love it if you’d leave me a comment/rating below. And I always love hearing from you here, and over on Instagram where you can tag me at #getinspiredeveryday with your photos.Print
The classic broccoli and cheddar combination together with chicken and rice for the ultimate comfort food!
2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced, 2 cups
3 stalks celery, diced, 2 cups
1 onion, peeled and diced 1/2″, 3 cups
2 clove garlic, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1” pieces
1 Teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade tastes the best when you can
1 cup long grain white jasmine rice
1 Teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste, see notes
1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
1 – 1 pound bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed and cut into bite sized pieces if necessary
Thinly slice fresh chives or green onions for an optional garnish
2 cups grated aged white cheddar, (aged brings the most flavor)
Start by prepping all of your ingredients before you begin cooking.
Select the sauté function on the Instant Pot. When it’s hot, add the butter or olive oil along with the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies begin to soften with some browning.
Then add the chicken, and sauté about 2 minutes until the outer edges of the chicken begin to turn white before stirring in the poultry seasoning. Next turn off the sauté function and add the chicken stock. Scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot well to make sure to remove any browned bits. This is important so you don’t get a burn signal.
Finally add the rice, salt, (you can also add salt at the end if you prefer) and pepper to the Instant Pot. Stir to evenly distribute, then set the valve to sealing, and pressure cook for 8 minutes.
When the timer is up, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 2 minutes, then use the quick release function. I find it useful to cover the valve with a cloth to prevent spattering.
Add the broccoli and grated cheddar, stir to combine. Then place the lid back on, select the ‘keep warm’ function and let the broccoli cook for 5 minutes.
When the broccoli is done cooking, season to taste if needed with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
The amount of salt will vary depending on the amount of sodium in the chicken stock you choose. To be on the safe side, you can add salt to taste at the end of the cooking time.
The cooking time in the Instant Pot is only 10 minutes, but with the time to come up and down from pressure, the total time is around 30 minutes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chicken and Rice Instant Pot, Broccoli and Cheddar Rice, Chicken and Rice Recipe, Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice