This recipe is a simple answer to the ‘what’s for dinner’ question, and these Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowls couldn’t be easier to make. It’s also a family friendly favorite that are packed with flavor and veggies. It’s naturally gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and Whole30 as well. It comes together with minimal prep, and the Instant Pot does the rest. And when you’re really pressed for time, you can make this even easier by using a coleslaw mix!
This simple version of egg roll in a bowl has been on repeat in our house for years now. It’s just so easy to make, and so tasty, that I find myself making it often. And when you pair these flavors with some crunchy cashews and a touch of sriracha, it’s downright addicting.
I’ve even been known to eat this cold for lunch on the regular. And above all else, did I mention it’s extra easy? So this recipe is perfect for weeknights when you have zero time, and need to get something tasty on the table quickly. Cleanup is a breeze too because it’s cooked in the Instant Pot. You won’t even need to wipe down the stove after dinner which is big bonus!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cabbage, Carrot, & Onions – these 3 make up the bulk of egg roll in a bowl. But you can also use a coleslaw mix together with an onion to speed things up.
- Ground turkey – pork, or ground beef all work here. I think I prefer pork overall, but you can’t go wrong with any of them. I don’t recommend ground chicken here because it’s too dry.
- Ginger & Garlic – I always recommend mincing up these two fresh. But if you’re in a hurry, ginger in a tube also works here. Try using a garlic press speeds things up as well.
- Green Onions – are added on top after it’s cooked to add a lot of fresh flavor.
- Sauce – is made up of coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, black pepper, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar, and chicken stock. These are the classic egg roll flavors, and you can use soy sauce or tamari in place of the coconut aminos.
- Toasted cashews – add crunch and lots of flavor. Definitely don’t leave them out if you can have nuts.
- Sriracha or sriracha mayo – an extra hint of spice is really tasty here. You can drizzle sriracha over the top. Or mix together mayo with sriracha for a creamy version that’s way too addicting.
How to make this recipe step by step
Step 1: Start by cutting the core out of the cabbage and cutting it up into pieces about 1 1/2″ x 2-3″.
Time Saving Tip: Try buying a bag coleslaw mix to save time cutting up your veggies!
Step 3: Sauté your choice of ground meat in the Instant Pot. Then turn off the sauté function and add the sauce. Using a cooking utensil, scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to make sure all the browned bits have been loosened.
Scraping the bottom of the Instant Pot is important so you don’t get a ‘BURN’ signal.
Step 4: Add the cabbage, carrots, and onions to the meat/sauce mixture, and stir to combine.
Step 5: Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing, and select pressure cook for 0 minutes. When the Instant Pot is done cooking, use the quick release function and serve with the toppings of your choice.
Important Note: The cooking time isn’t a misprint, it really is 0 minutes! The Instant Pot takes 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then 10-15 minutes to release pressure. This makes for plenty of time to cook the veggies.
This recipe lasts 3-4 days in a tightly sealed container.
Yes, I like to rewarm it in a small pan on the stove, but you can also microwave it.
No, you can sauté this recipe on the stove top in a large skillet, or follow my Potsticker Stir Fry recipe if you don’t have an Instant Pot.
- To store – place the leftovers into a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Reheating – you can reheat this egg roll in a bowl in a pan over low heat stirring until heated through. Or you can also microwave it.
- To freeze – place in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as directed above.
Tips & Tricks
- Try using a pre-made coleslaw mix to speed up the prep work!
- If you enjoy crisp-tender veggies with a fair amount of crunch in them, then the Instant Pot isn’t for you. The cooking time is short, but the veggies are soft. If you’re looking for something crunchier, try my Potsticker Stir Fry.
- Prep your veggies 2-3 days ahead of time, and store in a tightly sealed container if you’re short on time. You can also mix together the sauce ingredients and keep in the fridge as well.
I really hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl! If you do get a chance to make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl
- 1 pound ground pork - turkey or beef
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos - or 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar - or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock - homemade if you can
- 8 cups cabbage - sliced into 1″ x 2″ thick pieces, about 1 pound
- 2 cups grated carrots - 8 ounces from 4 carrots
- 1 red onion - sliced 1/2″ thick, 10 ounces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup toasted cashew pieces
- Sriracha - or 3 tablespoons mayo mixed with 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Prep all the ingredients before beginning to cook.
- Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, brown the ground pork. If you’re using ground turkey you may want to add a bit of oil as well to keep it from sticking.
- When the meat is browned, add the ginger and garlic, and cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the sauce ingredients, and stir scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, (a metal spatula works well for this).
- Then turn off the sauté function and add the prepped cabbage, carrots, and red onion to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine, then secure the lid and set the the pressure cook function for 0 minutes, (not a misprint, it’s really 0 minutes).
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, using the quick release function. When it’s safe to open, stir the egg roll mixture to combine and taste to see if you need to adjust the seasonings/add more salt or pepper.
- Serve immediately with the sliced green onions and toasted cashews. Add some sriracha or the sriracha mayo if desired.
This post was originally published in 2019, but has been update with new information, photos, and nutritional facts in 2023.