- 1 medium onion, 8 ounces, 1/2″ dice
- 1 red bell pepper, 8 ounces, 1/2″ dice
- 4 large carrots, 1 pound, thinly sliced
- 4 medium zucchini, 2 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 pkg boneless skinless chicken things, 1 1/2 pounds or 4 thighs cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon rice wine
- 4–6 drops (less than 1/4 teaspoon) toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 cup toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Prepare the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and set aside in a bowl.
- Spiralize the zucchini and set the noodles aside in a bowl.
- Place the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce making sure there are no lumps of tapioca starch but don’t worry about mixing the honey in completely.
- Preheat a large (6 quart) stainless steel fry pan (you can use non stick, it’s easier but gives less seared flavor to the stir fry) over high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 Tablespoons of the avocado oil and the cubed chicken to the pan. Stir fry for a couple of minutes turning twice, waiting for browned edges appear before turning. When the chicken is mostly done, remove it from the pan and set aside until the end.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the onions, bell pepper, and carrots. If there’s a lot of browned bits on the bottom add 2 tablespoons of water as well and scrape it off as you stir fry the veggies. When they’re crisp tender, add the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add the chicken back into the pan along with the zucchini noodles and sauce. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes scraping the bottom with a metal spatula as you go. Remove the pan from the heat when the zucchini noodles still look underdone and bit firm, they will soften in the next few minutes without further cooking. Season to taste with sea salt if desired.
- Serve immediately with the toasted cashews and green onions.