- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (hot or mild)
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/2 pound)
- 20 slices pepperoni or salami
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the grill on high. Remove the dirt, stems and gills from the mushrooms and set aside.
- Form the Italian sausage into four patties. Place the pepperoni and mozzarella on a small plate.
- Place the cherry tomatoes and sea salt into the blender and blend until chunky.
- Lower the heat to medium and place the mushrooms cap side down. Spoon about 1/4 cup of sauce into each mushroom. Place the sausage patties on the grill and cook both sausage and mushrooms for about 8 minutes.
- Turn the sausage patties over and layer five pieces of pepperoni and two slices mozzarella on each patty. Cook for 5-8 minutes until burgers are cooked through and cheese is melty.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill onto a serving plate. Stack the burgers on top of the mushrooms and garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately with additional sauce.
My pepperoni slices were really small so I used 5 slices per burger, but sometimes we get salami and I only need 2-3 slices each.