Oregano Grilled Chicken:
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 chicken breasts weighing 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 Teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups washed mixed greens, 10 ounces
- 12 mini sweet peppers, or 1 large red bell pepper, 8 ounces
- 1 large cucumber, 14 ounces
- 1 red onion, 10 ounces
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or a mixture of parsley and cilantro
- 1/4 cup tahini, from roasted sesame seeds, not raw
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2–1 Teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, lemon zest, sea salt, and garlic in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts, and turn them in the marinade to coat. Cover and set the bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- When you’re ready to make the salad, preheat a grill over high heat.
- While the grill is heating start preparing the salad. Place the washed greens into a large serving bowl.
- Cut off the stems and remove the seeds from the pepper(s). Cut the pepper(s) into thin strips, and then slice them crosswise into bite sized cubes.
- Cut both ends off the cucumber and cut into quarters lengthwise. Slice the quarters crosswise to create thin triangular slices.
- Slice both ends off the onion, and peel away the tough outer layer. Cut the onion in half from the top to the bottom. Lay each half flat side down and cut across the rounded top into thin half moon slices.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place all the prepped veggies over the top of the salad greens.
- When the grill reaches at steady 400º-450ºF place the chicken breasts on the grill, and immediately lower the heat to medium, maintaining a temperature of 350º-400ºF. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken loosens from the grill and is easy to turn over. Turn the chicken breasts, and grill for another 8 minutes or so, or until they’re no long pink in the center. When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and set it aside to cool. When it’s no longer too hot to touch, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, and add it to the salad as well.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients except the olive oil to a blender. Blend on low, and add the olive oil in a slow steady drizzle, increasing the speed towards the end to help emulsify the dressing.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, or serve the dressing along side the salad.