These Mexican Sweet Potato Skins are just so delicious, not to mention pretty healthy as well. There is just a little cheese on top and the rest of dinner is vegetables. When you are eating these, you are not thinking healthy, you’re just thinking cheesy mexican goodness.
I baked these sweet potato skins casserole style and individually on a baking sheet. Both turned out great but I think casserole style was easier. In retrospect this seems obvious, easier is the nature of the casserole, kind of the whole point. Just in case you want perfect individual potato skins, the baking sheet method is for you.
Remove the core and seeds, cut the pepper into strips, then cut the strips in half.
Cut off both ends of the onion, peel and cut in half. Remove the core and slice into half moons.
Sauté over medium-high until vegetables are tender and edges are caramelized. It is important to cook over a high enough heat that your vegetables brown. The caramelizing adds oodles of good flavor.
It helps to leave a little bit of potato around the edges to keep the skins intact. As you can see, I broke a few of mine but it didn’t matter after they were stuffed and in the pan.
Sprinkled with cheese and ready for melting.
They look pretty good on their own but a little chopped cilantro looks even better.
We have used both sweet potatoes and yams in this recipe with equally good results. Although, I think I lean more toward the sweet potatoes. One thing is for sure, the avocado and lime really makes this dish. The avocados add their wonderful creaminess and the lime wedges add a squeeze of piquancy.
This recipe can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated. Just before baking sprinkle with cheese. You will need to increase your baking time a little bit if they have been refrigerated. When I make this recipe, I double the pepper and onion mixture and place half in the fridge to stir into eggs for breakfast.Print
- 4 lrg sweet potatoes, or yams
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups grated jalapeno jack cheese
- 2 sliced avocado, lime wedges, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prick sweet potatoes with a knife, place on a baking sheet and bake 45 minutes or until tender (depending on the size of your sweet potatoes).
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high. Add olive oil, onions, peppers, spices, and sea salt. Sauté 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender with caramelized edges. Turn off the heat and set pan aside.
- When potatoes are tender, remove from oven and cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside of the potato, be sure to leave a little around the potato skin to help them hold together. Mash the potato with the peppers and onions right in the pan. Scoop the filling into the potato skins and top with cheese. Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with avocado, lime wedges and cilantro.