Fresh Corn Salsa:
- 10 ounces fresh organic corn kernels cut off the cob
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped (1 ounce)
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno, veined, seeded, and minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small bunch green onions thinly sliced, 1 ounce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound ground turkey chub
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8ounce) avocado, for the stuffing
- 4 portabello mushrooms, 3 ounces each
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, 1 ounce per slice (omit for dairy free)
- Start by combining all the ingredients for the salsa.
- Preheat the grill on high heat.
- Prepare the mushrooms by removing the caps, and scraping out the gills with a spoon. Run them under water to wash away any dirt, and set them aside.
- Thoroughly mix together the ground turkey, sea salt, cumin, chipotle, and minced garlic. It will take a minute or two of mixing before the spices are really integrated.
- Peel and pit the avocado and roughly mash it in a small bowl, leaving some chunks.
- Divide the meat mixture in half and form 4 small patties with the first half of the mixture.
- Spoon the mashed avocado evenly into the middle of each patty.
- With the remaining meat mixture, form 4 small patties with your hands. Lay each patty over the avocado and press the edges together to seal.
- Place the mushrooms and patties on the grill and immediately lower the heat to medium.
- Let the patties cook for about 6-8 minutes before flipping them, (you’ll know they’re ready to flip when they aren’t sticking to the grill).
- Top with the slices of cheddar cheese, if you’re using it so that it will have time to melt. Cook for about another 6-8 minutes, (the time will depend on the thickness of your patties).
- At this point, check on the mushrooms, if they’re soft remove them from the grill to a serving plate while the burgers finish.
- The burgers are done when they have a slight springy-ness to them, if you’re in doubt cut one open to check. Because it’s poultry, you don’t want to see any pink.
- To serve, place each burger on a mushroom and top generously with salsa!
If you can’t find fresh corn, try organic sweet corn from the grocery store. Let it thaw in a colander for 1 hour before tossing it in with the rest of the salsa ingredients.
You can also omit the corn altogether and substitute a cucumber instead!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins