- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1–12 ounce package 100% brown rice gluten free pasta shells, or other shape
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups water
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste – you can always start with less and add to taste at the end of the cooking time
- 1/4–1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a large saucepan, about 12″ diameter, over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the pasta shells, and stir to combine. Then add the heavy cream, water, and sea salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Then cover the pan and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring every couple of minutes until the pasta has absorbed the liquid, about 10-12 minutes.
- When the pasta has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, add 1/4 cup of the heavy cream along with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Stir until the cheeses have completely melted. Then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Check the consistency and add the remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream only if the mac and cheese is too thick.
- Serve immediately.
- If you happen to have any leftovers, you can alway put the cold mac and cheese into a waffle iron and make waffles for breakfast with an over easy egg.
I tried cooking this mac and cheese a number of different ways, with milk and half and half, but in the end the best texture came from a combination of water and heavy cream.