- 1 cup pumpkin purée, about 1/2 a can
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon, I used Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- Whisk together all the ingredients over medium-high heat until the butter melts and the syrup comes to a gentle simmer.
- Lower the heat to low and keep the syrup at a bare simmer for 5-10 minutes, whisking occasionally to keep it from sticking, until the spices meld with the syrup.
- Serve the syrup warm to hot, but not boiling hot over pancakes or waffles. You can also refrigerate it for up to 1 week and rewarm it before serving.