- 4 chicken thighs, with the bone in and skin on
- 1 red onion, ends cut off and peeled
- 1/2 – 1 Teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon herbs d’ Provence
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 small zucchini, weighing 12 ounces
- 8 ounces of crimini mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 pound of asparagus
- Fresh lemon juice to taste for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, when it’s hot, add the chicken thighs skin down and sear both sides to a caramelized brown. Remove the chicken thighs and place them with the nice looking skin side up in a 9″x13″x3″ baking pan. Pour in any chicken fat rendered in the pan, or if there isn’t much, drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of the baking pan. If you have a Dutch oven or large enough skillet you can use the same dish to go from the stove top to the oven.
- Cut the onion in half from the top to the bottom, and place each half flat side down on the cutting board. Slice each onion half into 1/2″ half moons. Separate the onions slightly as you scatter them over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the sea salt, herbs d’ Provence, minced garlic, and lemon zest evenly over the chicken. Place the chicken in the preheated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes – the timing will depend on the size of your chicken thighs.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the veggies. Cut the ends from the zucchini and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Next cut across the quartered zucchini to make 1/2″ thick triangular pieces. Slice the mushrooms and trim any tough ends from the asparagus.
- When the chicken is halfway cooked, pull the pan out of the oven and scatter the sliced zucchini and mushrooms evenly in and around the chicken. Arrange the spears of asparagus around the edges of the pan. Place the pan back in the oven and roast until the veggies are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and veggies immediately with lemon wedges for squeezing fresh lemon juice at the table.
I like to use a Microplane grater for a fine textured (non-chewy) lemon zest!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins