- 3 pounds baking apples like Granny Smith or McIntosh
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 Teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Peel, core, and quarter the apples. Then cut each apple quarter into 4 equal slices. Place the apple slices into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Mix together the tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sea salt until combined. Add the maple syrup, and whisk until the tapioca has completely dissolved into the syrup. Then whisk in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Pour the spice/maple syrup mixture over the apple slices, and toss lightly to combine and evenly distribute the spices.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook for 3-4 hours on low, or until the apples have softened but still retain their shape.
- Serve with your choice of ice cream.