- 1 – 6 pound pork shoulder roast
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cup minced ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos, gluten free soy sauce, or tamari
- 2 Tablespoons honey, or maple syrup
- Zest and juice from 3 large oranges
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Place the pork roast into a large 6-quart oval shaped slow cooker. Sprinkle the 5-spice powder evenly over the top.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Secure the lid, and set the cooking time for 6-8 hours on high.
- This roast takes quiet a while since it’s so large, but start checking on it after 5-6 hours. When the roast is fork tender, and falling apart, it’s ready to be shredded.
- Carefully remove the roast from the hot juices in 3-4 separate pieces, and let it cool before shredding it. As you shred the pork, remove any connective tissue or excess pieces of fat. When the pork is fully shredded, place it back into the juices.
- Serve as much as you need immediately. With any leftovers you have, refrigerate until the pork is chilled or room temperature, then package it according the amount you will need per meal, and freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.