- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Herbs d’ Provence
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 2
- sea salt to taste
- 8 cups washed baby spinach, 8 ounces
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium Honeycrisp apples, 1 pound
- 1 pomegranate, de-seeded yielding 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, 3 ounces
- 1 cup sliced almonds, 4 ounces
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- sea salt to taste, I used 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat a grill over high heat.
- While the grill heats, make the dressing by adding the balsamic vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, sea salt, and pepper to a mason jar. Crush the Herbs d’ Provence in your hand before adding them to the jar as well along with the garlic and olive oil. Secure a lid tightly on the jar and shake until the dressing emulsifies. Set the dressing aside to let the flavors develop.
- When the grill reaches 400º-450ºF, place the chicken breasts on the grill, and immediately lower the heat to medium high. Grill for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, but still juicy. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the grill to cool slightly before cutting it into bite sized pieces.
- While the chicken is grilling, place the spinach and sliced onions into a large serving bowl. Cut the apples into quarters and core them. Then thinly slice or cut them into small bite sized pieces. Add the apples along with the pomegranate arils and feta cheese to the salad bowl.
- To make the candied almonds, toast the sliced almonds over low heat in a 9″ cast iron pan, shaking as they cook to make sure they toast evenly. When the almonds are golden, add the sea salt and maple syrup stirring vigorously to coat. When the maple syrup has been mixed in, remove the nuts from the pan to a glass or ceramic dish to cool.
- To finish the salad add the grilled chicken, candied almonds, and toss the salad with the balsamic dressing, or serve the dressing on the side.
- Serve immediately.