This Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce is simple to make, and there’s no refined sugar! Instead you can use either maple syrup or honey which both make for an incredible flavor pairing with this dynamite duo. The sweetness of the strawberries tempers the tangy nature of rhubarb so you don’t need quite as much sweetener either. This sauce keeps well for days in the fridge, and it’s perfect over my Homemade Coconut Ice Cream. Or try it with your favorite creamy yogurt topped with my Maple Cinnamon Granola.
Have you ever eaten raw rhubarb? Well… I wouldn’t recommend taking a very big bite that’s for sure! My Grandpa used to think it was so funny to initiate each of his grandkids into rhubarb by feeding it to us raw. It’s incredibly sour, and he would be laughing so hard at our puckered up faces that he’d pretty much fall to his knees with mirth!
I think he’d love to know that I’m still eating it raw, albeit in very small bites! But raw rhubarb is sort of like bitting into a lemon, so that’s why it’s the best in recipes like this sauce. And once you’ve made this, you definitely need to head over to make my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp too. This time of year rhubarb is plentiful, so if you’ve never tried it before, I hope this super tasty recipe will inspire you!
Let’s jump in and talk about the ingredients for this Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce!
- Rhubarb – can usually be found at a regular grocery store during the spring to early summer months. And you can definitely find it at your local farmer’s market or maybe you have a neighbor that would be happy to get rid of some! You can sometimes find rhubarb plants at a farmers market and you could add this to your flower beds. It pretty much takes care of itself and will reward you with loads of rhubarb.
- Strawberries – I use frozen berries here because that’s all I have when rhubarb is most plentiful. But you can use fresh as well, although it may be less saucy if you use store bought fresh strawberries because they don’t have much juice.
- Honey or maple syrup – either sweetener is good here, but I especially love honey because the flavor combo is so good with the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Tapioca starch – or cornstarch both work here to thicken up the sauce a touch.
- Orange zest – or lemon zest adds the perfect bright note that compliments this flavor combo.
Now let’s make this recipe step by step:
Trim your rhubarb stems by cutting off the tough stem ends and removing the leaves.
Mix everything listed in the recipe together, and bring the mixture to a boil.
Simmer for a few minutes until the rhubarb is just tender, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy right away, or let it cool a bit and serve with anything listed below!
Serve this Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce with:
- Homemade Coconut Ice Cream
- Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt and Maple Cinnamon Granola
- Best Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- As a topping for my Overnight Oats
- Over Banana Pancakes
- Topping my Creamy Coconut Chia Pudding
I really hope you enjoy this Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce! And if you do get a chance to make it, I hope you’ll leave me a comment/rating below. I always love hearing from you here! If you’re crazy about strawberry and rhubarb, try my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp or my Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Tart. Also for lots more healthy dessert recipes, head over to the recipe index.Print
Sweet strawberries combined with tangy rhubarb makes the tastiest sauce that’s so easy to make! Try it over ice cream, yogurt, my coconut chia pudding, or my overnight oats.
Mix together all ingredients in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Simmer on low for a few minutes until rhubarb is just tender.
Remove from heat to cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Or serve warm over ice cream!
When I serve this with a dessert I only add 1/4 cup honey because I like it to be a bit tangy with my ice cream. For eating it plain or for breakfast, I use 1/2 cup honey because I pour it over plain yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce No Sugar, Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe, Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce with Tapioca
This post was originally published in 2013, but has been updated to include new photos, prep photos, nutritional facts, more information and tips.