- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- 1 – 12 ounce container strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 Tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Mix together the cashew butter, maple syrup, eggs, baking powder, Vietnamese cinnamon, vanilla extract, and the almond extract in a medium sized bowl until smooth, and set aside.
- Heat a 9″ cast iron skillet over medium heat, add the butter or coconut oil to the pan to melt it. Remove the pan from the heat and add half of the quartered strawberries.
- Pour the batter over the strawberries in the pan, smoothing over the top to even it out, and top with the remaining quartered berries.
- Bake the shortcake for 20-25 minutes or until just done, but still moist in the center (remember the cake will continue to cook a bit in the cast iron pan after it’s removed from the oven).
- Serve immediately or at room temperature topped with the fresh berries and your choice of ice cream or whipped cream.
- The shortcake will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature.