Sweet Potato Noodles:
- 3 sweet potatoes, 2 1/2 pounds, peeled
- 2 Teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Chorizo Veggie Mixture:
- 1 pound ground chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, 1 pound, diced 1/2″
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 Teaspoon dried
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 roasted red peppers, 8 ounces, see notes
- 6 cups baby spinach, 6 ounces, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half widthwise and spiralize each piece through a spiralizer with the smallest blade, (3mm on the Paderno) to make noodles. Place the noodles on the lined baking sheet, and toss them with the smoked paprika, sea salt, and olive oil. Set the noodles aside.
- Next, sauté the chorizo sausage in a large 10″ cast iron skillet over high heat until browned and fully cooked through. Remove the sausage from the pan and lower the heat to medium. If there’s not enough leftover oil from the sausage, add a small amount of olive oil along with the diced onions. Cook over medium heat until the onions soften and start to brown, 6-8 minutes. If at any point you notice the bottom of the pan getting too brown, add 1-2 Tablespoons of water to loosen the browned bits on the bottom so they don’t burn.
- While the onions are cooking, place the noodles in the oven to bake. For al dente noodles with a bit of bite, they’ll take between 8-10 minutes, or for fully cooked soft noodles, 12-15 minutes.
- When the onions are done, add the thyme, garlic, roasted red pepper, spinach, and the browned sausage. Cook just until the spinach softens and everything is heated through. Then remove the pan from the heat to toss with the roasted sweet potato noodles. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- If you have any leftovers, the noodles do fall apart when reheated, but the flavor is really good.
You can sub in a diced fresh bell pepper for the roasted red bell pepper, just add the pepper in with the onions so that it has enough time to fully cook.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins