There is something about the combination of taco toppings and sweet potatoes that I’m totally crazy about! To think, I didn’t believe anything could be as good as deep-fried freshly pressed corn tortillas – boy… was I wrong! Not only do I love the flavor of the sweet potatoes, but I love the simplicity – they are so much quicker and easier than making you own shells
Tacos are supposed to be an easy dinner, but that kinda goes out the window when you make your own shells. Sweet potatoes are a super easy (only 30 minute dinner!) and healthy solution. They’re rich in complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein, beta carotene, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. We love to use sweet potatoes as a base for all kinds of topping for a quick dinner!
I cut my tomatoes in half, then into quarters length-wise, and finally I cut the quarters cross-wise into small pieces.
For tacos, I like to cut my lettuce into fine shreds.
For more information about cutting and roasting sweet potatoes, you can refer to the Roasted Sweet Potatoes Post.
What’s your favorite shortcut to make dinner faster?Print
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, split in half length-wise and width-wise
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3–4 Tablespoons of your favorite taco seasoning
- 4 cups shredded lettuce, (8 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, (12 ounces)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, optional
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream, optional
- Optional but delicious – 1 recipe Guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place the sweet potatoes face down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until tender.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prep the lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar, and the optional guacamole. Place in serving bowls and set aside until serving time.
- When the potatoes are almost done, sauté the ground beef in a 9″ cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Break up the ground beef into small bits with a wooden spoon. Add the seasoning to the pan and cook until done.
- Serve everything together immediately.
Making a recipe of Homemade Guacamole is the perfect substitute for dairy if you’re intolerant!