My mom used to make a chocolate zucchini bread when I was growing up. And while I’d never turn it down, I always secretly wanted brownies instead because they were so much fudgier.
So when I set out to make a healthier version of this childhood recipe, I decided to amp up the chocolate to be truly worthy of any chocoholic (and it’s mom approved!). The zucchini bread itself is chocolate, and then there’s chocolate chips mixed in.
Then it’s topped with a chocolate glaze as well for triple chocolate enjoyment. All in all, it’s a chocolate zucchini bread that I’d trade a brownie for… and that’s saying a lot!
For this recipe, the first thing you do is to mix together the dry ingredients.
Next stir in the grated zucchini until all the pieces are coated with the flour mixture.
And finally the wet ingredients are mixed in along with the chocolate chips. I like to use the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life, but the morsel size works as well.
Once the batter is in the pans, I like to sprinkle a few more chocolate chips over the top for decoration.
After they’ve baked, allow them to cool for 15 minutes or so in the pan before removing them to cool completely.
Once they’re completely cooled, it’s time to glaze the loaves…
… slice and enjoy!Print
Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 3 mini loaves, or 12 muffins 1x
Chocolate Zucchini Bread:
- 2 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil for dairy free
- 2 eggs
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tablespoons for topping
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2–3 Tablespoons coconut or almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and lightly grease 3 mini loaf pans, or a regular sized muffin pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir in the grated zucchini until it’s completely coated in the flour mixture.
- Add the honey, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Then mix in the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, and portion the batter equally in the mini loaf pans. If you’re using a muffin pan, you’ll need to take them out sooner, around 20 minutes baking time.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the tops of the mini loaves, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed in the middle and a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the mini loaves are done, remove them from the oven, and let them cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes. Then remove the mini loaves from the loaf pan to cool completely.
- In a small sized saucepan, melt the chocolate chips together with the the 2 tablespoons of coconut milk over low heat, stirring constantly, until no chocolate lumps remain.
- Add the additional tablespoon of coconut milk only if the mixture is too thick. Place the glaze into a squeeze bottle and squeeze in lines over the top. Or you can put the glaze into a small Ziplock and cut a very small part of the corner away to create a small hole to drizzle the chocolate through.
- Let the glaze set for about 30 minutes, slice and serve. You can also serve the loaves right away, but the glaze is a bit more messy when it’s still warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins