Sweet Chili Sauce Marinade:
- 1 Tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup, or honey
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, thawed and drained, see notes
- 2 cups red onion cubes, 1″ pieces, 7 ounces
- 1 small zucchini, slice into 1/4” circles, 2 cups, 8 ounces
- 2 cups red bell pepper cubes, 1″ pieces, 6 ounces
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1-2″ pieces, 10 ounces
- If you’re using wooden skewers, make sure to pre-soak them in water for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat a grill over medium heat until you reach a steady temperature between 350º-400ºF.
- While the grill heats, mix together all the ingredients for the sweet chili sauce marinade.
- Place all the ingredients for the shrimp skewers into a large mixing bowl. Then pour about 3/4 of the sweet chili sauce marinade over the top. Reserve the rest of the sauce to brush over the skewers after they’ve finished cooking.
- Toss the sweet chili sauce marinade with the shrimp and veggies until everything is coated. Then thread the shrimp, veggies, and pineapple onto the skewers alternating as you go. You should have around 12-15 skewers.
- Place the skewers on the grill, and grill for 5-6 minutes per side, or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Brush the skewers with the reserved sweet chili sauce, and serve immediately.
I used shrimp that were 21-15 per pound for these skewers.
Shrimp and veggies make a light meal, so even though there’s 12-15 skewers it will usually only feed 2 depending on what you serve as sides.