- 12 ounces zucchini, 2-3 small
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Optional but delicious:
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1–2 eggs – cooked over-easy, or however you like them
- Wash the zucchini and slice off both ends creating a nice, flat surface.
- Spiralize the zucchini, or use a julienne peeler to create veggie noodles.
- Preheat a 9″ cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, assemble and prepare your other ingredients.
- Add the olive oil to the hot pan, followed by the garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper. Sauté just until fragrant but not brown – about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pan and sauté until just tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the zucchini noodles immediately topped with your choice of toppings.
Since this dish comes together so fast, it can be difficult to sauté the zucchini noodles and fry the eggs at the same time. The way I deal with this is to preheat some pasta bowls in the oven at the lowest temperature – it takes about 5 minutes to thoroughly heat the bowl. Then, I pull the zucchini noodles off the stove after they just begin to wilt but before they start shedding water. They stay nice and hot in the pre-warmed bowl for the 3 minutes it takes to cook an over-easy egg in the already hot cast iron skillet you used for the zucchini noodles!