1. Lemon is alkalizing helping to balance your ph levels. I have just recently learned that disease thrives in an acidic environment so alkalizing foods are especially good.
2. Lemon juice oxygenates and hydrates your body.
3. It’s high in vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium and much more.
4. Lemon water in the morning kickstarts your metabolism, digestive system, and helps your kidneys flush out toxins.
5. Lemon juice is antibacterial, antiviral, and immune boosting.
My Number One Reason For Drinking Lemon Water:
I feel soo… much better! Not scientific, but there you go.
Before I started adding lemon juice to my water, I would drink about 64-96 ounces of water per day and still feel incredibly thirsty! I’ve made three changes to my water consumption and I’ve seen a big improvement.
1. I now drink about 16 ounces of water first thing in the morning. This seems to set the tone for the whole day. I’m a coffee drinker, (love the stuff) and I would often have my cup of coffee and be on my way. Hours would go by without any water intake, and suddenly mid- afternoon I would get really thirsty. I spent the rest of the day trying to make up for my dehydration. In the world of athletes, they try to stay ahead of thirst so that dehydration never sets in. Since I wouldn’t mind a little more high performance in my life, I figured that I could learn a thing or two from them.
2. I add lemon juice to my water for all of the above reasons.
3. I drink a 32 ounce Green Smoothie almost everyday. I’ve found that adding a good deal more fruits and vegetables to my diet, (I hate that word) has helped me stay hydrated. In fact, last summer my husband and I started drinking a 32 ounce green smoothie after every hike and we both saw a great improvement in recovery time.
Slice up a lemon and place it in a pitcher, fill with water and refrigerate until it’s gone. I usually refill the pitcher once before I start over with a new lemon. For water on the go, I squeeze half of a lemon into a glass quart jar and fill with water.
And that’s it, lemon water only takes an additional minute to make and is so delicious! And for another tasty flavor, try my Strawberry Cucumber Infused Water.