Is anything better than butter? Well… maybe. I never thought I’d say this but, my love for coconut oil is up there with butter, (and avocado)! What can I say, I love rich foods. What I love even more is finding sources for these foods that are actually healthy for me.
Coconut oil is my favorite all-around healthy fat. And… while we’re on the subject of healthy fats (yes – there is such a thing as healthy fat), you need a certain percentage of healthy fats in order to properly absorb nutrients – yeah for me! Coconut oil has antioxident properties and helps you absorb vitamins and minerals. I love having an excuse to add something delicious to my diet.
Coconut oil has gotten a bad rap in the past for it’s saturated fat content. But, as it turns out, not all saturated fats are created equal. Only recently, they’ve discovered that it’s because they were putting it through the process of hydrogenation which can cause it to be artery-clogging just like any other hydrogenated (read overly processed) oil. When you’re using a extra-virgin cold pressed oil this is no longer the case, and coconut oil actually becomes a super star! It’s anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial, whew!
I use coconut oil for everything, from cooking, to lotions and potions. Coconut oil is a great way to add depth of flavor in your cooking. For instance, I love cooking my Satay Chicken for my lettuce wraps (above photo) with coconut oil because the flavor is so much better than a bland cooking oil. I think my favorite way to use coconut oil is in raw desserts like my Pineapple Crisp, or Chocolate Tart. Let me just say that Chocolate Tart is probably my favorite dessert of all-time right now! For baked/cooked desserts, my favorite ones with coconut oil are Chocolate Chunk Salted Caramel No-Bake Cookies and Easiest Banana Nut Cake.
Below, I’ve listed my favorite ways to use coconut oil outside the kitchen.
1. A cure for chapped lips in the winter. Simply dab a bit of coconut oil onto your lips and rub it in. Two or three applications should have your lips feeling extra soft again.
3. I also use coconut oil straight as an easy and effective lotion/body butter that doesn’t require any extra time to make.
4. I use coconut oil in my sugar scrubs for the best exfoliating/moisturizing (two for one) treatment on my skin. Easiest Sugar Scrub is my favorite because it’s so easy, but the Pumpkin Spice one is really nice, and smells so good.
5. Coconut oil is my oil of choice in the Oil Cleansing Method because it does the perfect job of both cleansing and moisturizing my face.
6. In my conditioning version of DIY Lemon Hair Gel, I add a small amount of coconut oil for a moisturizing hold which works especially good on curly hair.
7. Coconut oil is also one of the main ingredients in my DIY Homemade Deodorant, (which is the best deodorant I’ve ever used in my life).
I hope I’ve given you lots of reasons to try coconut oil, not only for it’s health benefits, but because it’s just plain delicious!
P.S. especially in Chocolate Chunk Salted Caramel No-Bake Cookies.