- 1 pound ground turkey chub
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 portabello mushrooms, 8-12 ounces total
- 1 large red onion, 12 ounces
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella, 4 ounces
Tomato Basil Topping:
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 basil leaves, thinly sliced (chiffonade) 1/8 ounce
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Reduced Balsamic Vinegar for drizzling
- Preheat the grill over high heat. Make sure the grill is well cleaned before you begin grilling because turkey burgers have a tendency to stick. Right before grilling you can spray the grill with an oil spray, or pour a small amount of oil onto a paper towel and carefully (you don’t want to burn yourself) oil the grill slats.
- Mix together the ground turkey with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, minced garlic, and chopped basil. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties.
- Clean the portabello mushrooms under running water, remove the stem and scrape out the gills (I use a spoon for this). Slice both ends off the onion and peel away the tough outer layer. Make 4 – 1/2″ slices from the middle of the onion, and refrigerate any leftover onion for a future use.
- Place the cleaned mushrooms, onion slices, and turkey burgers on the cleaned and oiled grill. Immediately reduce the heat to medium and maintain a temperature between 350ºF – 400ºF during the cooking time. Cook the burgers for about 6-8 minutes until they loosen from the grill and are easy to turn over. Top each burger with 1 slice of mozzerella cheese. Continue cooking an additional 6-8 minutes or until the burgers are no longer pink in the center.
- While the burgers are cooking prepare the tomato basil topping by mixing together the cherry tomatoes and sliced basil. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set the topping aside until you’re ready to serve.
- To serve the burgers, layer starting with 1 portabello each, then place 1 onion slice on top of each mushroom. Top the onion slice with a burger patty, and finally spoon the tomato basil topping over each burger and drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins