- 1 pkg boneless, skinless chicken thighs – 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Grade A maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1 Teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Grade A maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
Quick Pickled Carrots:
- 1 small bunch of carrots, about 1 pound
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
Noodles and Salad Ingredients:
- 1 head of Butterhead lettuce, washed and shredded
- 1 small bunch of basil, chopped – 1/2 cup
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped – 1/2 cup
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of vermicelli rice noodles
- Start by combining the chicken thighs with their marinade and place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, overnight yields a bit more flavor but it isn’t necessary.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Nuoc Cham and set it aside.
- Peel the carrots and grate them in a food processor or by hand. Place them in a bowl, and sprinkle them with the rice vinegar. Set them aside to ‘pickle’.
- Prepare all the salad ingredients and set them aside.
- Preheat your grill over high heat until the temperature reaches 400ºF. Place the chicken on the grill and immediately lower the heat to medium. You want the temperature to stay between 350ºF to 400ºF. If the temperature is too high the marinade will burn before the chicken cooks. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken doesn’t stick the the grill and you can easily turn it over. After you turn the chicken, cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. The timing will depend on the thickness of your chicken thighs.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice noodles according to package directions. When the noodles are just tender, drain and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- When all everything is prepared, you can assemble the bowls individually by layering the salad ingredients, noodles, and carrots. Then top the bowls with saté chicken and the Nuoc Cham dipping sauce.
- You can also chop the grilled chicken into bite sized pieces, and toss all the ingredients together like a salad in a large bowl!