- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, browned (opt step), see notes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, for browning
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 cup Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coarse Celtic sea salt, or to taste – the amount of salt will vary depending on your ingredients and type of sea salt used
- Grated Parmesan for serving if desired
- Cube the squash into 1 1/2 inch cubes and place a 4-qt crockpot. Cut the onion into small dice and place it in with the squash.
- If you’re browning the chicken, place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and the chicken thighs. Brown for just a minute on each side. Transfer the chicken to the crockpot.
- Pour the Homemade Cream of Chicken soup over the top and sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and turn to low for 8 hours.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken thighs and your individual crockpot. I like to try a new crockpot recipe on the weekend when I’m home to see how it works for me the first time!
To make this completely dairy free, be sure to use a non-dairy Cream of Chicken Soup.
Browning the chicken adds extra flavor, but it’s not necessary if time is short. I’ve made it both ways and they were both really good.
I’ve used both boneless skinless chicken thighs and bone + skin on as well. If you use bone in and skin on, pan sear them skin side down first to create a browned skin. If you use boneless skinless, try and go for the biggest ones available, or just shorten the cooking time.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours